Makes 12 muffins
· 60g Unsalted butter, melted
· 280g strong white flour
· 1 tbs baking powder
· ½ tsp salt
· 100g caster sugar
· Zest of 1 lemon
· 1 egg
· 1 tsp vanilla essence
· 250ml milk
· Summer Berry Jam
· Heat the oven to 220°C (gas mark 7). Either grease the holes of a muffin tin or use muffin cases
· Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt in to a large bowl, make a well in the centre
· In another bowl, beat the egg lightly then mix in the melted butter, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and milk. Beat this mixture for about a minute until frothy.
· Add the egg mixture to the flour and gently mix together. Don’t over mix, just enough to make a smooth batter.
· Put a tablespoon of batter to cover the bottom of each muffin hole, then a teaspoon of jam, then cover with more batter. The hole should be about ¾ full.
· Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown.
The muffins may peak and crack on top and some of the jam may squidge out, but it’s supposed to.
Ideally, eat them whilst still warm from the oven, but be careful as the jam could be very hot. If they last for more than a couple of days without being eaten, soften them up in the microwave for a few seconds, or eat them with custard.
Use lemon curd instead of jam