This is an alternative drink to make if mulled wine is on the menu and there are children and drivers who would like a tipple too. It’s also a warming, soothing drink for those with coughs and colds.
· Bottle of apple juice (750ml)
· 4 cloves
· 1 stick cinnamon
· Sugar or honey to taste
· Fresh apple, sliced
· Optional – 6 allspice berries, orange or lemon peel
· Put the apple juice, cloves, cinnamon and allspice, citrus peel if using into a pan and heat gently for 10 minutes (don’t boil)
· Add sugar or honey to taste, stir until dissolved
· Add the sliced apple and heat for a further 5 minutes
· Serve in a heatproof glass or mug, with a slice of apple to garnish
If you don’t drink all the juice, it can be refrigerated and re-heated – in fact, the flavours will infuse more if it is left.
For an alcoholic version, replace the apple juice with cider